Tuesday, February 1, 2011

In the News

I am sure by the number of questions I have had to field today for which I simply have no answers, that you have all heard now of the appalling slaughter of 100 sleddogs in Whistler.
You don't have to be a musher and have sleddogs to be sickened to the core at the senseless abomination that has taken place.
I will tell you all I have no answers. Well meaning colleagues had me weeping as I left my work today, insisting on asking me about this, over and over again. Thank you Tony for NOT asking me if I had heard of this, or how it could have happened.
Yes there are rescue organizations in place to deal with placing dogs, sleddogs or not. Yes the SPCA should have gotten involved if they had had even the smallest sniff of what was going to happen. No, as far as I know not a peep of this made it out to the public before hand. No, those dogs did not stand a chance.
And finally, and most importantly NO they did not deserve to end a life of service in this manner.
It is my opinion that we are stewards of the animals that share our lives. I am most privileged to share a working bond with my dogs, to enjoy them in a manner than most people only imagine. Dogs give us everything they have. They are simple creatures that live in the present, never holding grudges, never judging, never having expectations. They accept us for who we are, no questions asked, we are always good enough for them. And they love us unconditionally, something we humans are simply not capable of.
My heart aches for those Whistler dogs. My heart aches for all creatures that are subject to the cruelty of man.
If you have a pet please cherish it.
And please, no more questions about this incident. I think my heart might simply break in two.
Gwen

No comments:

Post a Comment