About 6 weeks ago they contacted me saying spring was here and they would like him to stay. My heart immediately went LURCH, and I wrote back saying that sledding season was still in full swing, so therefore spring had not arrived but we would talk about it soon.

I do not believe we are owners or masters of the dogs that share our lives. I believe we are their stewards, and as they give us their unconditional love and devotion, it is up to us to always put them first when making decisions for them. With heavy heart I took the crate out of my car before heading south, as I knew that the reality is that what is best for Storm is no longer my dog yard. He deserves the love and attention he has received at the Solbergs. He deserves to sleep on the bed every night if he wishes, all the house time he gets, the attention of two people who love him to bits, and the affection of his fellow retiree, Mandy. The relief and tears from Doug and JoAnn when I showed them I had not come down with a crate, therefore I was going home without any dogs in my car, was enough to tell me that this is the very best thing for Storm, to stay where he is.

So this is a very good day indeed for Storm. He is much loved, in fabulous health and condition and looks quite like the young man that he is in his heart.
But for me, it is a sad day, as my Mr. Dog will not be coming home. Sometimes the right decisions are really difficult.
I miss you, old fella.
Age is opportunity no less
Than youth itself, though in another dress,
And as the evening twilight fades away
The sky is filled with stars, invisible by day.
Hugs Gwen. Vanessa
ReplyDeleteYou've grown Gwen. I'm proud of you!
ReplyDeleteKaren