RiverIce Sleddogs says a fond good-bye to:
Am Can Australian New Zealand Ch Des Mar & Peace River’s Only Way To Fly a.k.a the Rude Dude.
Rudy was the first Siberian that I really noticed, as he made fast friends with my 6 month old Malamute Dancer, that encounter leaving me with a mild concussion! A number of years later Rudy's daughter Mandy came to live with me.
RiverIce Sleddogs says a respectful good-bye to:
Int. Ch. Kossok's Gold Standard a.k.a Ryan

Ryan is Jovo's father. I never got to know Ryan well, but everyone knows what a big presence Jovo is in my life, and in the world at large.
RiverIce Sleddogs says a special good-bye to:
Int. Ch. Huskavarna's Dark Alliance a.k.a Vader
3 years ago I drove to Central Oregon in August, where I would leave my dogs for a few months while I went to Europe to teach. As Vader was coming from Spain, and needed a ride for the last leg of his journey to Kossok Siberians, also in Oregon, Alice asked me if I would transport him the rest of the way. Vader did not speak any English at the time, but when I met him at the Costco parking lot just on the Canadian side of the border he was sweet and affectionate and not showing any signs of just having traveled from so very far. En route I was stopping in Washington to do the 6 mile Snoqualmie Tunnel Run with the dogs, and when I arrived there I realized it was much too hot to leave Vader in the dog truck for this, or even tied to the dog truck. So I decided to see what he would do in harness. This Spanish speaking dog, who had never seen a harness in his life had one initial moment of confusion and then ran like he had been born doing it. My time with Vader was short but very sweet and he held a place of respect in my heart. 

Here is Vader, his first and last time in harness.
All three boys touched my life and my heart. I will remember them all, and am so very thankful for the impact they have made on my world.
Rest in Peace, fine, fine gentlemen, and thank-you.
Gwen

What beautiful tributes (and the concussion does deserve more explanation).
ReplyDeleteThe two six month old puppies were cavorting in the field and when I opened the back of my SUV they took it as an open invitation to jump in. With a crack that could be heard a the next set up, my skull collided with an airborne Dancer's skull as I turned around to see what they were up to. Later my friends said I gracefully sank to my knees before someone grabbed me and sat me down on the bumper of the truck. Nice goose egg and hairline fracture above my eyebrow!
ReplyDelete