Katerina lives in Sweden, and I had occasion to run dogs with her there in the fall of '07. I would suggest you cruise her website, she has all sorts of interesting stuff to see and read, and a pretty cool online store for those looking for something unique. In particular I would suggest you check out her artwork; charming hand painted, hand crafted cups etc, and her partner Jachym's photography..... simply stunning.
http://kippsiberians.kokeshnet.com/
My very good friend that I don't see often enough took the time to post a comment to my blog, inquiring about my knee. Katerina could have emailed me privately, but as she chose to ask me here, I thought this was her clever way of telling me I should update here. Well, ok, I don't really like talking about myself but here goes!
It is almost 4 weeks post surgery now. I saw the surgeon last week and he showed me a set of very cool photographs of what he did inside my knee. I was quite amazed, but then the human body tends to leave me in awe. He is happy with his work, and is cautiously optimistic that I should see a 75% improvement overall. Good return, I'd say. (His caution is based on what Gwen does with it now!)
Of course my first question was "can I start weaning off the crutches now?" to which he responded firmly "NO". But he did say I could try walking without them in the house, which I was already doing (flat surface), and so now for the most part my crutches are parked at the front door!
He also cleared me to start physical therapy and as I had already booked an appointment in anticipation of this announcement, I started the very next day. He insists on a boring and cautious approach, no load bearing on the knee, just isotonic exercises which really consists of various forms of leg raises. I see him in another month, and by then I will be able to get more aggressive. Another month also brings me to the start of running season (weather dependant), which I am hoping will not be too delayed. Currently I am up to walking 2 miles a day on two legs with crutch support on gradual inclines and declines. No marathons anytime soon!
So all in all the knee is still very swollen (sort of resembles a large cantaloupe - yes quite attractive) and stiff, but pain is not significant and controlled by rest, elevation and ice. ICE IS MY FRIEND!
I promised him I would be walking unassisted when I see him next!
Quite a few people have asked me if I'm climbing the walls in boredom. Actually I'm not yet. This summer of healing is turning out to be a much needed recharging of my batteries I think, and I'm enjoying peace and quiet, quite far removed from the pedal to the metal pace I normally live.
This certainly has me reconsidering some life choices!
So folks, enough about me, it is all very boring !
I get weekly updates on the dogs, and they too seem to be enjoying their peaceful summer.
Thanks for asking Kat, it's all good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your never boring! Take care of yourself, everyone loves you and just wants what is best for you.
ReplyDeleteJoAnn and the kids