Sunday, August 1, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, Ellie

Dog of the Week: North Wapiti's Electra; AKA: Ellie, Ellie-kins, Eddie, ED!!!

Beautiful Ellie. Maybe I feel a little sentimental today, given it is her 5th birthday and she celebrates far away from me, but Ellie is one awesome little girl. On the smaller size for a Siberian, yet if one were to go to the Siberian Husky Breed Standard on movement, I think one could find easily a picture of Ellie there. I don't like to use words like "flawless" or "perfection" but sometimes I am convinced she doesn't really touch the ground when she moves, it is so smooth and effortless.





I once commented to Karen Ramstead that she was kinda small. Karen's reply was "she is the same size as her Mother and SHE took me to Nome..." and nothing else has ever needed said about Miss Ellie's height.



Ellie is a true Mama's girl. For the first year of her life when left on the truck with the other dogs she would howl her frustration when I walked away, and would keep her laser beam eyes trained on the spot where she saw me last, only to start up again as soon as I was in sight again. She is not an overly persistent affectionate dog, she gives her affection on her own terms, and when she feels like it, but Man! when she gives it, she gives it in spades.
As a puppy she was the one that discovered that a tote box containing sled gear made the perfect snuggle spot after running with the team, especially when I had tossed my down vest there.



Given Ellie's stunning good looks one immediately and quite incorrectly assumes she has a Princess complex, but she is much more the little rough and tumble tom-boy than a princess.
Ellie free ran with multiple dog teams for miles as a puppy, charming everyone she encountered, and I often found her returning in someone else's sled bag, when she tuckered herself out.

Ellie will work up front if I ask her too, but does not take this position too seriously, so often I have her where she works best, beside a youngster. Ellie has trained River, Pete and now young Skala will be next. My Blog is full of photos of photogenic Ellie, but here are a few of my favorites.

Ellie and Impi and their favorite rent-a Mountie, Rick.















Ellie is the only girl that ever truly stole Storm's heart (behind her in the photo)








This rather artistic photo was taken and altered by a friend of mine when young Skala had been here for under 2 months. Like she has done with every puppy to date, Ellie was extremely patient and loving with the youngster, often allowing him to cuddle close to her when life seemed a bit overwhelming in this strange land so far from his home.
Happy Birthday my little Eddie-kins, and Happy Birthday too, young Skala, who turned 1 a couple of days ago.
See you soon kids.

2 comments: