Friday, March 25, 2011

Next Stop: Alaska

It is springtime in Lotus Land, as evidenced by the budding trees, the cherry blossoms, the bunches of daffodils blooming along highway 1, and the chunks of hair falling out of the dogs. Spring is one of my favourite times of year, I just love the young green color, that the warmth of the sun brings. So then, why am I pulling out my Canada Goose Expedition Parka, and -60C Glacier Pac boots?
Well now, that's a bit of a story, but it would appear that instead of a spring break escape south to a sunny tropical holiday destination, I am Siberia bound. Yes, that would be Siberia, Russia, and along with some others I've been invited to attend and follow the 20th anniversary of the Nadezhda race, or as we know it here in North America, the Hope Race. The race route is along the coast of Chukotka, between Lavrentiya and Anadyr.

http://www.visitchukotka.com/eng/news.php?action=view&nid=143

Archaeologic evidence from islands in the northern parts of Russia of an ancient hunters camp and the remnants of a dog harness, some sleds, and a well preserved bone from a dog showed these artifacts to have an approximate age of 7800-8000 years.
Over the next few days I will be making my way to Nome Alaska, and then to the land of ice and snow, where the intrinsic bond between man and sleddog is ancient.
It's the adventure of a life-time.


1 comment: