Saturday, November 26, 2011
First Run Jitters
The first run on sled of each season always gives me great anxiety. This year this seemed magnified 10 times. With the recent ankle injury, and brand new trails and very cold temperatures from what I'm used to I was very nervous, especially running a flexible sled. Thanks to friend Joe Loveless tho, he managed to tighten up the cables a bit, and it took about 2 minutes on the runners to remember how fun this sled really is. I took out small teams of 4 dogs each and both teams did very well. Me? well picture a VERY narrow bridge, just wide enough to take a sled. Now fortunately the stream that this bridge crosses is frozen. First team went over and back over no problem, so I think I got a bit cocky. Second team took the bridge again with no problem, even with Skala in wheel, who I did have my concerns about because always at the mere suggestion of water he tends to fling himself to the side to avoid it, often pulling the team and sled at least 6 ft off the trail. So coming back I thought I'd take a photo of said bridge. (see Photo 2)
Suddenly I was not riding the outside edge of my runner into the curve and I realized that my sled was veering off the bridge. First runner was off the edge and I gave it a shove and pushed it into the bank on the other side, totally biffing it, eating snow, with camera in hand. Unfortunately THAT photo didn't turn out to amuse you. All four dogs looked around at me with expressions that said "ROOKIE" as I righted the sled and continued on.
The trails here are very technical, and I think I'll stick to 4 dogs for a while. Biffed it twice, so hopefully I have gotten that out of my system. Either that or the other locals are gonna have an amusing season if they catch me on the trail!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 dogs sounds good to me! We can still have fun with small teams : )
ReplyDeleteGive Ellie a hug and tell her I'm sorry she missed your entertainment! Kim