Sunday, September 20, 2009

An All Summer Project

It started just before I left for Europe. With keeping two puppies, I needed to renovate and organize the kennel to utilize the space better. And I needed to deal with the swamp and open up the yard to give more dogs more room to run around.

The weekend we began I looked at everything that needed to be done and wondered how it would ever get finished. I am very grateful for the help I've received with this, because without it I'd still be taking things apart I'm sure.

Phase One: First everything had to come out of the kennel, which meant dismantling all of the chain link kennels inside. All the wood shavings had to be swept and shoveled into bags, and the shop vac was employed to get all the edges.

Then came the annual washing and bleaching of the entire kennel. Here is Erin getting some lessons from her Father, Pete on how to run a pressure washer.







By the end of a very long day, everything was back in, there is now room for additional dogs, and the place smells squeaky clean.

Phase Two: This was the opening of the yard phase, and more thanks needed for the help I received. Erin and I laid the stucco wire flat on the ground. This is to prevent digging under. Then the fellows stood up the wire along the fence posts. And suddenly the yard became much bigger. But not without it's hazards. All of my fencing has stucco wire on the bottom, and it is tied into the bottom of the upright fencing. Over the last five years this as become quite overgrown and buried. So with this space suddenly open, there was lots of sharp pointy bits of wire sticking up everywhere. Many hours of raking, and pulling away, clipping off sharp points to prevent foot injuries to the dogs. Then I realized this job had become something much bigger. So we clipped and covered what we could and hoped we'd not have a foot injury before all if it could be stripped out. And there was the hornet's nest we uncovered and had to set fire to and dig up to eliminate. Only two people stung, and no dogs stung. That could have been a lot worse!

Here is Stryder holding down the wire for us while Hilda checks to see if there is a way to dig out!







The dogs enjoyed exploring their new space.


Along the way I realized that I'd like an extra kennel for storage, but possibly for a guest as needed. A friend had donated huge pallets, so this became the base, and with the help of Nathan and a couple of his buddies we got a roof framed up, and the metal on top.


The next project was to install a bit of a deck in front of the kennel. In the rain the dogs like to hang out here, because of the large overhanging roof it stays dry. We cut the second large pallet in two and placed it along the front of the kennel giving the dogs a nice space to hang out on. I take a lawn chair out here and hang out with the dogs in this space.



Phase Three: Finally the end of the project drew near and I just had to deal with the wire left across many feet of yard. Thank God the tractor was around to be enlisted for this project, as my arms grew very weary of raking the ground back in an attempt to expose the long sheets of wire to get it out. The tractor made short work of this for me, dragging it out and then I could strip off all the turf that had grown into the wire.







Heavy dirty work made for a big pile of wire!









Finally, when it had all been found and removed the yard was covered in hog fuel (mill tailings). We have a natural spring in this area, which is why it was cordoned off in the first place. After much discussion with various drainage experts we decided that we could fill the space with the same hog fuel that lines the rest of the yard. So loads and load of hog fuel was put in here to attempt to divert the water under and out of the dog yard.
We will see once the November rains come if we were successful.



At the end of the day the dogs are now delighted with their new spot, and have been ripping and tearing around in there for hours.
It took all summer, but it's done, and just in time!
A huge thank you to everyone who pitched in to make this happen. Good friends are hard to find these days, and your combined efforts are much appreciated.









No comments:

Post a Comment