Another thing that I have found to be a distinct disadvantage when shopping for a truck is that I'm a GIRL. The truck sales world is very male dominated, and most of those fellows think that a girl cannot possibly have the faintest clue about what she wants in a truck. They want to talk to me about color. Ok, they have a small point, the absolute no no color is a sort of puke gold color, but come on fellas, color? Lets talk motors and GVW and wheelbase length... PLEASE!!!
For months, I have been doing my research, I've been asking lots of questions, going on the forums on the internet, stopping truck owners on the ferry, and storing everything away in my scientific little brain. Any of you who know me, know I am often guilty of researching and thinking things to death, it's just what I do. But because of this I do go armed with facts and numbers and astonishingly I can keep them straight!
Last night things came to a head. Last weekend one local dealership salesman promised me he could have "anything" I wanted on the lot in a matter of a couple days. Personally I doubted his confidence, as us dog truck drivers are pretty specific and sticky about things, but hey, I've been given the run around so much I thought at least it sounded good. Well I'm sure you can guess where this is going, "the" truck has not materialized and I think I scared the salesman to death, because he abandoned his post at the dealership yesterday and left some poor sod (perhaps his manager) to deal with an extremely p-od Gwen. This one was smart, he let me talk. Perhaps it was the menace in my voice that kept him quiet, but he let me explain to him exactly what I was looking for, and what years and models of what brands I knew I could find it in. I know what motors needed what fixes, I know what performance stuff needs to be added to improve fuel efficiency, I know about fuel system delivery issues, about melting heads, blowing up transmissions and I know what just won't work! Finally, when I took a breath, he merely said "WOW!!!! Can I offer you a job?!!!!" Trust me, you cannot afford me!
Alas, the day after, I still do not have a truck, but he asked me for a dog sled ride this winter if he can find me the truck. Hmmmm..... a dog sled ride.....hugely motivating I think! More to follow.... hopefully 1 ton diesel more!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment