Monday, November 23, 2009

The Rock

Returning to the Skagit Valley this past weekend for this first time this running season, with a break in the weather on Saturday it seemed like a good place to go. I love running along side the river, which is swollen over its banks in many spots due to the constant heavy rains of November. Nestled in the majestic coastal mountains, it is a place to find solace and peace, away from the hectic pace of the city. By far one of my favorite places.

I was recently talking with my young friend in Russia about how hanging out and exercising dogs lends one to getting inside their own head. There is sort of this magical click that I think all dog drivers can appreciate when finally all the chaos of hook up is done, the mutinies are over, dogs settle in and the mind opens and looks for peace as it sorts through things and puts them neatly in order, sort of like stacking plates. And yes, the run on Saturday had its share of issues, with a major mutiny on the line that we had to work through, some crabbing issues that has me wondering if it is time to go see our favorite Dr Jewell for a chiro tune up, and I was even pulled over by the local authorities and given a "warning" ticket! Nope, not for speeding, (HA!!! I bet that was the first thing you all thought... you know me too well!!!) but because I need public liability insurance on my ATV to operate on public roads. Ok, my bad, I know this, but have been trying to avoid the expense of yet another insurance. My luck has run out it seems! But that warning could have been a rather expensive fine, so perhaps, really, my luck is still intact?!!?

Finally things settled down, my eyes were on the team and the beautiful surroundings, my ears were alert for traffic, and my mind was wandering down paths of the last week. The joy of reconnecting with an old yet constant friend that busy lives had displaced over the last year. The sadness for my friend and colleague that had suddenly lost his father in the week. I wondered whatever can I say to him to comfort him at such a time? 'I am so sorry for your loss' seems so inadequate at times.

Deep in my reverie it took me a split second to register the obstacle in the road, and as I squinted at it in the distance I realized it was a huge rock, just sitting in the middle of the road. Hmmmm I thought, this is rather odd, but not unexpected I guess, given I'm running in a valley, and there has been lots of rain. But still, it was strange, so cleanly sitting there in my path, as if it had just fallen out of the sky. When I got along side the rock (which turned out to be about the size of my ATV) I stopped the team to investigate, and see if I could figure out where it had come from. There was no evidence on either side of the road of any damage to the underbrush that would indicate the rock had tumbled through it. Everything was undisturbed.

As I stood there looking at this rock I thought how life changing it would be to have a rock suddenly drop out of the sky in my path. It wasn't a barrier, this rock, but it was definitely there in my path, demanding that I take notice of it.

Strangely, that rock in my path stays on my mind. What does it mean, I wonder? Why is it there? Why was it there for me?


Last night before putting the dogs to bed we all sat in the kennel together for a bit. Dogs all jockeying together, vying for my attention, it was a very precious moment, surrounded by the simplicity of an unconditional love that dogs and not people are capable of. I thought about that rock again, and told the dogs to pay attention, Rocks occasionally fall out of the sky, and they change our lives when they do........

No comments:

Post a Comment