Thursday, December 31, 2009

Plan B

Normally between Christmas and New Years I spend a few days in Washington state at our annual musher and friends gathering. We hang out at Camp Koinonia, are spoiled rotten by the the camp director and his wife, run right from our door step on fabulous snowy trails, talk, laugh, eat, and eat some more and all round have a marvelous time. This year Mother Nature did not cooperate with us, she tarried with the snow. While she tarried the camp had some major logging done, and the end result is that our trails are a disaster, and sadly the outing was cancelled as it was not safe for anything but an ATV.

But I still had the time off, and with the suggestion of a little snow just down the road at the Crystal Springs Snow -Park (where there just happens to be actual dog sled designated trails) I decided to put the sled inside (yep ain't that sweet!!!) the dog box and go check out some snow.

Imagine my delight to find the trails were in awesome condition if a little sparse on snow, there was still enough to sink a hook into! So Michael hooked up 10 dogs, and I hooked up 7 (Jovo is convalescing from recent surgery) and we set off on what would end up being a 17.8 mile (28 km)run.

I cannot take you with me, sadly, but I can show your our route (it is the red track on the topo map) and the elevation profile. The entire trip took 2 hours and 35 minutes, and the dogs came in strong loping the last mile back to the snow park


Pays to have a Plan B!!!!
What a great way to end 2009!

images can be clicked on to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment