Saturday, July 3, 2010

Starting Them Young.... Future Kennel Help?

A couple of weekends ago we did some charity work at a local barn that works with troubled kids, teaching them that hard positive work with animals (horses) turns into riding lessons, keeping them away from delinquency. They invited the local dog team to set up as part of their fund raising summer fair, and I thought this was a worthwhile way to spend a Saturday. Initially the plan was to hitch up the team to the ATV and run the dogs through the farm, out onto the road, up to the end, back down the road and through the farm once again. Plans changed when we found out that the fancy schmancy ranch next door was holding a horse jumping competition that day, and it seemed like way too much distraction for the horses and way too much stimulation for the dogs!
Anthony came up from Washington, and together with Erin put on bikjoring and scootering demonstrations, to show people what they can do with their own dogs at home. No pictures of these demos, however, as with the very close proximity of the petting zoo, the horses in small paddocks and the barbeque, it seemed prudent that I run in front of Anthony and Erin, to ward off potential disaster!!! Thank you, you two, I couldn't have done this without you!

The kids from the barn made us a sign ('as seen on tv' refers to the huge amount of air time the team got with the 2010 winter Olympics and their commercial)






The highlight for me, however, was all the attention that the dogs got from the visiting children. I don't think I need to say anything else here, this photo-essay says it all. Enjoy















































































































No comments:

Post a Comment