Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Arctic Circle

Suddenly I feel like I've opened one of those colorful relief maps of the northern hemisphere and somebody plunked me down in the middle of the white part of that relief map! Today I crossed the Arctic Circle as my plane, headed for Nome, Alaska, first arrived in Kotzebue, Alaska. All it looks like from the air is shades of white, with only a few rocks and cliffs to break up the white.
How can one orientate themselves here I wonder, as beyond the towns there is nothing but white. I have to confess I'm a little intimidated by all this. The people are warm and friendly though, and everywhere there are signs of dogsleds. This year a trapper from Kotzebue won the Iditarod. I once talked to Jamie Nelson about her season training in Kotzebue and she told me there is only one season in Kotzebue, and that is Survival. I didn't really get that until today. And with the wind chill it is only about -21 C here in Nome.
Tomorrow we fly over to Provideniya. To Siberia. To Chukotka. I think I am feeling equal doses of excitement and terror!




No comments:

Post a Comment