Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Brave Hearts, Young Legs and Happy Dogs

I don't consider myself a racer. I don't usually race. However, I have some fine dogs that sometimes deserve to see how they stack up against the would be competition, if I did race. Last October I was still very much recovering from recent knee surgery, so I sent the dogs off with different people to race in the Camp K DryLand Challenge. They all did very well, much better than they would with me I suspect.









Last weekend was the Camp K Spring DryLand races, so I decided to send those dogs off again with the same people, as dogs and drivers had such a great time in the fall, it seemed fitting to close the "racing" season in such a manner.


First up was Erin, in the scooter class, who, less than 100 meters out of the starting chute biffed it in a spectacular manner leaving spotters to dive on the run away team, while she stumbled around trying to get her bearings. Erin now becomes the poster child for the use of Helmets.


(I dont have a decent racing picture of her, but I think these are way cuter!)
But brave little soul that she is, she insisted on returning to the start line, and after all the other entrants had gone, was allowed to restart, but her time had kept ticking. The second day she slashed that time by over 50% and came in second! Way to Go Erin, KitKat and Ellie!






Next up Anthony in the 6 dog Mid class. Turns out Anthony's steering wheel popped right off 3-4 times during his race, all on the down hills. I will never know how he managed to keep himself and the team intact. And not only intact, but he also managed to win the 6 dog mid! Congratulations, Anthony!!!




Little River ran with friend Kim, also in the 6 dog mid, although in Kim's case it is really a 5 dog mid. River does not pour it on on the downhill, which I prefer not to do, but Kim certainly appreciated the value of how much hill training I do as River wanted to haul Kim's entire team up the hills.

That's River in the middle of the team.





Thanks all of you for such a terrific ending to what has been a rather interesting running season for me this year.
Side note, Anthony also won the best kept team. Thank you Anthony for taking such good care of my dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment