Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Day Off

in the middle of the week is quite uncommon, but such was my luck this week, and I got to spend it running dogs, in one of my favorite areas, the Skagit Valley.
Sat, Dec 6th......Two days later it is soupy and wet again, days like today are detested by sleddog and driver alike. So I uploaded my pictures and invite you to share the day with me, come lets run some dogs.....

I arrived just as the sun was kissing the peaks of the mountains, and finally it was cold and crisp. Silver Lake was like glass, with ice forming on the surface.












I'm very glad the dogs have some good training miles on them now as they have had about a week off while the rain has been coming down in sheets. Perhaps a break has been a good thing, as any sore muscles or feet will have had ample rest. The dogs joyfully loped for the first couple of miles,





before we took a very short break for me to take a photo.










Today the dogs are running their longest run of the season, and by the time we are finished they will have run close to 16 miles, pulling just over 600 pounds. (25.5 km and 275 kg).
This is one of my favorite spots along the route, and I often pull in here to stop and turn around during the shorter runs, or I come back here for a rest break on my way back on longer runs. I have camped here with the dogs, where there is a nice level spot for a tent, and a fire pit away from the trees, and one falls asleep to the music of the rushing river. Certainly a little piece of heaven in paradise!
Today I pulled in here on my way back, having run 2/3 of the run already, to water dogs.
Wheel dogs Stryder and Jovo.
Stryder is particularly interested in the thermos of coffee in my hand!








River doing the drop and roll




Impi ever anxious to get going.











Ellie too wants to hit the trail ASAP!



















By the time I was finished and the dogs loaded up, the wind had picked up and the clouds had started to roll in. On my way out I paused at this little cabin nestled into the rain forest, and wished longingly that I could stay for a while.






1 comment: