Monday, December 29, 2008

A Slippery Slope

This weekend I had the opportunity to share my dogs and dog sledding in a true sense with my young kennel help (now promoted to handler!!) Erin, as she joined me on my annual Christmastime holiday in Washington. I brought all the puppies and it was Erin that made my trip possible as she came along as chief puppy minder.
While we were there I was able to take Erin for her first dog sled ride. I managed to dump her soundly in the snow before take-off as the harness bashing of the dogs flipped the sled on it's side, with her already in the basket.
Later on the run, she was using her weight to help steer around tight turns in less than ideal punchy slow snow conditions, when she leaned when I leaned and we both tipped over into the snow, laughing hysterically.
I asked Erin to write to you of her experience, and promise that photos will follow as soon as everyone gets home to send me the ones they took, as my camera hardly came out of it's case this weekend.
From the first little giggle I heard come out of her, I knew she was hooked..........

Erin?

'December 29, 2008

Yesterday was my first day out on a dog sled. After seeing Gwen’s takeoff the previous day I was a little nervous. I got into the bag and Gwen zipped me up. Before we even let the quick release go I was pulled over onto the side and into the snow. I was really hoping it wasn’t an indication of how the ride was going to go! Gwen stepped onto the back and off we went, zooming along the first corner. At least it felt like we were, I couldn’t see because of Jovo and Stryder kicking up snow into my face. Once the ground became a little more compact I was able to look around and really appreciate what was around me. Having only really seen the dogs pulling the ATV it was awesome to see them in their snowy element, happy as can be, racing along the trails. On the way back Gwen let me get on the back and she hopped into the bag. At first I was afraid to see that she wasn’t going to be standing on the runners behind me like Doreen had done with Sydney, but once I let off the brake… what a rush!! It took me a little while to get a feel for it but having been snowboarding for a few years I was familiar with the way I had to use my body’s weight to maneuver the sled. When we got into the parking lot everyone was coming up to me and congratulating me and asking how I had liked it. All of them had knowing smiles on their faces, as I’m sure they knew the rush and instant addiction from your first ride. After lunch I was ready to go and try again! Gwen split up her team into two and gave me three dogs and my own sled. Again I was nervous to be on my own but so excited at the same time. It made me happy to feel that Gwen trusted me enough to take her dogs without her. Before I even got on the sled I prepared my self for the chance of getting hurt and figured the fun and experience I was going to have would outweigh the bad of what could possibly happen. Off Gwen went with me and Sydney following behind her, and Doreen bringing up the rear. It was so beautiful and amazing to be a part of something like that. It was breath taking. My first hill was nerve racking but so fun to be going that fast! I didn’t end up falling for the whole ride and I was thankful for that! At the end of the ride Gwen and I rode in beside each other and I was so happy to have found such a great friend in her. She gave me a hug and I went to go unhook my dogs, praising and thanking them for such a nice ride. After we’d packed up the first question I had for Gwen was, “ So…how much do dog sleds cost?” '

Yep........ a Slippery Slope indeed.........(said by Gwen with a knowing grin)

No comments:

Post a Comment